The David Beckham workout really impressed me. Obviously this guy was going to have an intense workout — but holy shit.
Nowadays, Beckham practices something called “Fitness Snacking” (short periods of exercise done throughout your day as opposed to one longer workout), but back in his footy playing days, it was definitely more about duration.
He would do a series of exercises for a certain number of repetitions and time himself, sometimes doing five rounds of each exercise.
We simulated his workout by doing a series of his preferred exercises for time, for five rounds. To make it accessible for home-use, there are some v creative options. If they don’t work for you, skip them or pick a different move!
The playlist — the playlist was a funny thing. I found three sources:
- a playlist that Spotify made for Beckham on his birthday, which he then shared on Facebook
- a news article where he listed a few of his faves
- an interview with some of Beckham’s teammates where they revealed they’d been snooping through his playlists, expecting to find some indie English rock bands, and instead found a whole lot of Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez.
Find that eclectic compilation here.
Equipment needed: bed sheet, maybe
Total time: 50+ minutes if you’re going to do all five rounds (but honestly just do whatever you’re feeling)
– 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off
– five rounds with a minute break between rounds
- “sled push” — a few options:
- push ups
- “battle ropes” — a few options:
- use a bed sheet like in this video OR like I did: roll it up and put elastic bands throughout. I anchored with two dumbbells but you can use anything heavy. I only used one bedsheet so it was on the shorter side (and why I had to hold a squat). You could use two bed sheets for more length (and therefore more range).
- use a garden hose (scroll down in the link)
- body-weight replacements: tuck jumps, burpees, mountain climbers
- kettlebell swings — a few options:
- use a sandbag or flour bag (if you’ve been lucky enough to secure flour — bastards cleaning out the supermarket) or dumbbell or something else heavy
- body-weight replacements: high knees, squat jumps, fast push ups
- jump squats
- leg raises
- forearm plank to pushup